Read Time: 4 minutes
The SEGD Conference is the only annual conference designed for creatives working in experiential graphic design. Speakers span industry verticals, and the event promises a wide cross-section of designers, architects and business leaders who will open your mind to new ways of thinking about design. At the 2019 SEGD Conference Experience Austin,you’ll have the opportunities to learn from leaders in the field like Paula Scher; successful executives like Chris Calori; and local experts like Leslie Wolke. (There are so many awesome people speaking in Austin. Don’t even think about missing it!)
Meet all of the speakers for this year’s annual conference, and bookmark the sessions you won’t want to miss:
Thursday, June 6
Introductions + Welcome: The conference launches with Austin-focused experiences.
- Wendy Colonna—Wendy Colonna is a singer-songwriter who will open the 2019 SEGD conference Experience Austin with music she has written especially for the SEGD community!!
- Leslie Wolke—Leslie, Experience Austin Co-Chair, is Founder and Principal of MapWell Studio, a consultancy and software firm specializing in wayfinding technology. For the last fifteen years, she has focused on strategy, design, and implementation of wayfinding tools—from apps and websites to touchscreens and management systems.
- Grady Brown—Grady is a co-chair for the SEGD Austin Chapter and Principal of GTB Consulting. He has been managing the design, planning, fabrication and installation of major architectural signage, branding and exhibit projects for prominent clients across a wide range of industries for more than 25 years.
Connecting People: Design, Culture and Place
- Larry Speck—Larry is a Professor at University of Texas at Austin and Principal at Page Southerland Page. He is also the lead designer for a variety of building types including public, university, healthcare, commercial, residential, recreational and planning at Page Sutherland Page, an architectural firm in Austin.
- Lucia Athens—Lucia is the City of Austin’s first Chief Sustainability Officer. Recognized internationally as an authority on sustainability, she is the author of the Island Press book Building an Emerald City: A Guide to Creating Green Building Policies and Programs.
- Jana McCann—Jana is an architect/urban designer and CEO of McCann Adams Studio. She has extensive experience in transit facility design and transit-oriented development planning, streetscape and public space design, historic preservation and adaptive re-use, as well as in the management of large-scale civic projects.
Austin Centric: Experiential Graphic Design and Beyond
- Susanne Harrington—Susanne is President of Asterisk Group Design in Austin, Texas. She leads many of the firm’s largest engagements with local, regional and national clients. Susanne is a 2- and 3-dimensional strategist and designer working to shape big-picture brand objectives. She builds long-term client and colleague relationships by focusing on responsive service and an open, collaborative process.
- Curtis Roberts—Curtis Roberts is Design Principal and co-owner at fd2s. He has had the privilege of working on a wide range of projects around the world and has collaborated with amazing colleagues and clients. Curtis thinks better branding and wayfinding (when and where appropriate) build a better, more engaging experience.
- Maija Kreishman—Maija Kreishman, AIA, is a Partner at Michael Hsu Office of Architecture (MHOA), an Austin based studio of architects and interior designers. In addition to managing a broad range of architecture and interior projects, Maija oversees strategic visioning, studio culture, operations, marketing and business development.
Friday, June 7
Cultivating Cross-Disciplinary Innovation
- Doreen Lorenzo—Doreen is the Assistant Dean at University of Texas, School of Design and Creative Technology, and Fellow of Marguerite Fairchild Centennial Professorship. She is also a successful leader of global creative firms and has advised Fortune 100 companies on design and innovation issues for decades.
- Herman Dyal—Dyal and Partners was founded and is led by Herman Ellis Dyal, FAIA, a design strategist, architect and graphic designer with over 35 years of experience.Herman Dyal has been an architect with the New York office of Philip Johnson, and an architect with Skidmore Owings & Merrill.
Change + Place: Perspectives in Art, Technology and Design
- Jennifer Chenoweth—Jennifer is a visual artist and entrepreneur. She is the principal of Fisterra Studio, creating contemporary abstract painting and sculpture. Additionally, she has received honors for her work from the City of Austin and Giving City.
- Lisa Woods—Lisa Woods is a Creative Director and Digital Artist. Lisa Woods works with Argo Design, Hopscotch Gallery and Lisa Woods Art. As Creative Director at Argo Design Lisa Woods has led multiple product launches for a Fortune 200 company.
- DJ Stout—At Pentagram, DJ’s (Partner) wide-ranging expertise encompasses the design and redesign of a variety of publications including magazines, books and catalogs. He and his team also specialize in identity design, branding, packaging, exhibitions and website design. DJ’s work has been widely published and has won countless design awards.
- Susan Lambe(moderator)—Susan Lambe is the Art in Public Places Program Manager for the city of Austin, Texas. She is a public art professional, licensed landscape architect, conceptualizer, planning and creative placemaking professional.
SEGD Young Designers Summit
- George Lim—George is a Principal Partner/Creative Director of Tangram Design, a lecturer at the University of Colorado School of Environmental Design, and an active member of the SEGD, as a Denver Chapter Chair. Tangram is a creative design firm whose design focus is the practice of environmental graphic design (EGD) – a discipline that involves the planning and design of signage and wayfinding systems.
- Hannah Anderson—Hannah is a Member of the 2019 SEGD Board of Directors. As Construction Administration Lead at Kolar Design, Hannah’s primary focus is to oversee the detailing and production of artwork, and the coordination of fabrication and installation activities. Her balance of detail-oriented and creative thought processes allows her to provide coaching within each project team to achieve desired outcomes for quality, performance, and effectiveness throughout design development.
Degrees of Freedom—sponsored by NanoLumens
- Dan Rossborough—Dan Rossborough is Director of Strategic Projects at Nanolumens in Atlanta. At Nanolumens Dan is Director of the department responsible for getting NanoLumens visualization technology sole-sourced in strategic projects driven by A/E/C firms and consultants. Nanolumens elevate visualization technology to meet the needs of today’s visionary architects.
Series 2—sponorsored by IMG
- Greg Teffertiller—Greg, Vice President of Marketing at the Image Manufacturing Group (IMG) in Atlanta. For over 20 years, he has dedicated himself to high-level strategic leadership and successful implementation of defined organizational and marketing objectives in various settings. Greg specializes in serving SMB, non-profits, and thought leader-driven organizations.
Reception and Auction for Excellence
Saturday, June 8
Business of Design Keynote
- Meriah Garrett—Meriah is the Chief Design Officer of USAA where she seeks to create an environment where beautiful member experiences become the new normal. She leads the internal design organization, growing the design capabilities, and shaping a curriculum of internal education that lifts design practitioners and helps encourage design thinking across the enterprise. Meriah was responsible for directing all phases of creative work from research and concept development through production. Additionally, she created a studio environment that drove impeccable design.
- Evan Voyles—Trained to tear down, analyze, and rebuild literature, Voyles instead applied his talent to the unintentional poetry and iconic imagery of classic American roadside signage. His career as both signmaker and artist have been guided by this interest. Built under the aegis of his business The Neon Jungle, Most of Evan Voyles signs can be seen on the streets of Austin, Texas.
Graphic Design Keynote
- Paula Scher—For four decades Paula has been at the forefront of graphic design. Iconic, smart, and accessible, her images have entered into the American vernacular. She has been a partner in the New York office of Pentagram since 1991. Paula has developed identity and branding systems, promotional materials, environmental graphics, packaging and publication designs for a broad range of clients that includes, among others, Bloomberg, Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Bausch + Lomb, Perry Ellis, the Museum of Modern Art, Jazz at Lincoln Center, the Metropolitan Opera and many others.
Design Thinking—sponsored by AVIXA
- Erin Hauber—Erin is the Director of Human Centered Design Practice for USAA. She leads design teams who use data and empathy to uncover and define problems worth solving. She collaborates with key partners to create products and services for data and AI technologies, financial services, and security.
Understanding Experience Design
- Lacey Engelke—Adobe’s Workplace Experiential Designer. Lacey has practiced environmental graphic design for just shy of a decade, both at a design firm and now in-house for Adobe. She designs and art directs through the lens of the company brand and in service to the employees occupying the office and the site’s culture.
- Greg Giordano—Greg is a licensed architect with 25 years of experience working at the intersection of information, interactions, and the environment. He draws on the disciplines of design research, architecture, environmental graphics, graphic design, and interaction design to create comprehensive user experiences in the built environment.
- Leslie Wolke (moderator)
Impacts of ADA on Design and Implementation
- Chris Calori—2007 SEGD Fellow and 2002 Distinguished Member Award honoree, Chris Calori is a co-founder and principal of Calori & Vanden-Eynden (New York). She has extensive experience in signage and identity design for a wide range of project types.
- Lucy Pereira—Working as a project manager and a sales consultant in the architectural signage industry, Lucy has developed interior and exterior signage solutions for various institutions in and around North America. Lucy’s focus as the National Sales Manager for APCO Signs is to generate new business alongside the regional sales managers across the US.
- Ken Ethridge—Ken has been the recipient of numerous awards; namely the 2009 Angel Award honoree, 1992 Angel Award honoree, and 2000 Distinguished Member Award honoree. He has published and spoken widely on codes and regulations, advocating practical, enforceable standards.
- Grady Brown (moderator)
- Wayne McCutcheon—Wayne, a principal and founding partner of Entro, has been instrumental in the successful planning, design and implementation of many large-scale wayfinding and corporate identity programs over the past 20 years. Also, Wayne is a Past President of SEGD and a member of the 2016 SEGD Board of Directors.
- Kathy Fry—Kathy, a member of the 2019 SEGD Board and Chair of the SEGD Achievement Awards, is also a principal at Mayer/Reed. She directs visual communications services in the design of signage, wayfinding, interpretive and branded spaces for civic, recreation, transportation, cultural, healthcare, education, mixed-use and corporate settings.
- Al Ross—Al is CEO and Visionary Entrepreneur of Al Ross Group and Al Ross Luxury Homes in Houston, Texas. The Al Ross Groups goal with every one of their partner companies is to create value through a combination of strategic capital and operational insight.
- Keith Helmetag—As one of the founders of C&G Partners, Keith offers creative direction to a talented team involved in signage and wayfinding as well as exhibit and experience design commissions. Currently, Keith Helmetag is working on digital and analog communication graphics for the numerous clientele.
Wrap up your 2019 SEGD Austin Conference experience with all the inspiration, during the SEGD Fellow and Achievement Awards (sponsored by DCL) and the 2019 SEGD Global Design Awards ceremony (sponsored by 3M).
Get ready to experience this jam-packed event with thought-provoking sessions, exciting topics, esteemed speakers, and incredible keynotes. What are you waiting for?? Register today!
The 2019 SEGD Conference Experience Austin is sponsored by Daktronics. Thank you to all of our sponsors!