2019 SEGD Insight Award: NYCEDC
The SEGD Insight Award recognizes entities that consistently commission environmental graphic design programs that significantly enhance or promote opportunities for the field and experiential graphic design education and demonstrate a long-standing commitment to recognize the field. Recipients of the award are the visionary design clients behind years of outstanding museum exhibits, innovative hospital wayfinding systems and rewarding partnerships between architects, developers and designers. Past winners include M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Taubman, Portsmouth City Council, TATE, Apple, Amtrak, Herman Miller and the National Park Service.
New York City Economic Development Corporation is a non-profit corporation whose stated mission is to promote economic growth in New York City, especially through real estate development. NYCEDC continually creates opportunities for multidisciplinary teams—including experiential graphic design firms—to transform NYC. They do so with an emphasis on community and design excellence. It is the City’s official economic development corporation and has commissioned many EGD projects from SEGD Members, including Bedford-Stuyvesant Streetscape, PlaNYC, Coney Island Hospital Wayfinding, East River Esplanade and Piers 11, 12, 88 and 90.
“NYCEDC consists of teams of skilled and dedicated individuals with knowhow and expertise across many fields including community/neighborhood development, workforce development, real estate, industry and sector analysis, design, urban planning, marketing, engineering, financial analysis and more. But we all have one thing in common, a passion for New York City and its people.
All of our work at NYCEDC expresses itself in: promoting and growing quality jobs for all New Yorkers and in cultivating dynamic, resilient communities across all five boroughs. This strategy is shaped by five key principles:
- Investing in Infrastructure: Invest in critical infrastructure across the five boroughs to support growth and connectivity
- Unlocking Human Capital: Unlock the full potential of our human capital by supporting quality jobs and providing access to skills development
- Leveraging City Assets: Leverage City-owned assets to realize a double-bottom line in catalyzing job growth and promoting innovation
- Making it Easier for Business to Start and Grow: Drive sustainable, resilient growth by making it easier for business to start, grow, and thrive in New York City
- Cultivating A Global Capital of Innovation: Grow New York City as the global capital for innovation by strategically investing in emerging sectors and encouraging traditional industries to adapt to global disruption
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.”
>>> More about NYCEDC
Congratulations to the 2019 SEGD Achievement Award winners!