Prince of Wales Hospital Memorial Garden
During construction at the Prince of Wales Hospital, archeologists retrieved the remains of 174 children who died and were buried at the then Randwick Destitute Children’s Asylum, which operated from 1858 to 1916. Seventy bodies were excavated and 35 children identified by name. Minale, Tattersfield, Bryce designed interpretive and commemorative signage for a memorial garden incorporating the history of the asylum, names of the children who died there, and details of the children whose remains were identified. Addressing the sensitive issue of the asylum and visually expressing the dignity of the children who died challenged the designers both mentally and emotionally. They decided on an ephemeral look for the sign family in order to commemorate the fleeting lives of the children. This same approach was deemed appropriate for the descriptions of aboriginal habitation and a military hospital on the same site, reflecting the transient nature of history.
Michael Bryce (Principal in Charge), Hans Gerber, Elke Tunold
Minale, Tattersfield, Bryce & Partners
Rice Daubney (architect), Tract Consultants (landscape architect), Godden Mackay Logan (archeologist)
Cunneen & Co.