Read Time: 3 minutes
Brooklyn is the most populous borough of New York. (Translation: It has a lot of cool people and places, you should check it out.) Since you'll be in town for SEGD's signature digital experiential graphic design event, Xlab 2019, we've put together a cheat sheet of things to do (with help from some member Brooklynites). Enjoy!
SEE & DO
- Check out some exceptional SEGD Global Design Award-winning projects and finalists while you're in town! (Click through the slides for more!)
- The Green-Wood Cemetery:Sure, it's a little morbid, but it's Halloween season. There is a free exhibit, "Bridging Worlds," and on 10/31, the cemetery is hosting a tour at 6:30 pm called "Green-Wood at Night."(P.S. A Green-Wood Cemetery exhibitwon an SEGD Global Design Award a few years back.)
- Brooklyn Museum:Check out current exhibitions like "JR: Chronicles," "Arts of Asia" and "Pierre Cardin: Future Fashion."
- Grand Army Plaza:A beautiful public park plaza with sculpted arch and fountain right nearby the Brooklyn Museum and Botanic Gardens, both worth a visit.
- New York Aquarium:Don't miss the interactive exhibit "Ocean Wonder: Sharks!"at the New York Aquarium in Coney Island that has received a lot of buzz.
- Bushwick Collective:Get your Instagram on point with this street art haven. (There are photo tours,if that's your thing.) While you're in Bushwick, check out Shops at the Loom.
- A/D/O:Mini's Amalgamated Drawing Office, or A/D/O, is located in a 23,000 square foot former warehouse in Greenpoint, Brooklyn's Industrial Business Zone. It has been converted into a space for creative exchange with a shop, workspace and lectures.
- Industry City:Shop, browse, snack and even salsa dance at Industry City, an adaptive reuse project. (Read about it here.)
- SEGD-exclusive optional Brooklyn Xlab studio and museum tourson November 7: ESI Design, Gallagher & Associates, Local Projects from 10 am-12 pm, and Bluecadet, Museum of the City of New York from 2 pm-4 pm ($75 each).
- Xlab 2019 sessions: SEGD's signature digital experiential graphic design event, with a focus on experience and place will be held at BRIC,a leading presenter of cultural programming in Brooklyn on November 8. (Read about BRIC's graphics program, here.)
EAT & DRINK
- The Xlab Post-Tour Meetup: After a fun day of tours, join new and old friends for a cold one and appetizers at Circa Brewing. We'll see you there!
- DeKalb Market Hall: Find exactly what you're craving, from pierogi to fried seafood to donuts, at 40 vendors in this hip food hall. They even have their own singing cowboy!
- Cafe Paulette:A cozy french bistro with classic dishes and a daily happy hour (yes, even on the weekend!).
- Chuko:With two locations in Brooklyn, Chuko means "vintage" in Japanese—a testament to the ramen restaurant's careful selection of both traditional and novel ingredients.
- Royal Palms:Shuffle off to the Brooklyn location of this shuffleboard bar, where tropical drinks and DJs come standard. (Courts are $40 and are rented on a first-come, first-served basis.)
- Radegast Hall & Biergarten:Need a highly-rated, authentic German bier hall experience to close out the Oktoberfest season? You've got it at Radegast Hall & Biergarten.
- Pig Beach:Weird name aside, this BBQ joint is hot. (P.S. Bust out your costume if you're there on Halloween.)
- Because it's New York, here are two excellent options for Pizza: Lucali(cash only, BYOB) and Di Fara Pizza(a favorite of famous chefs). Need more options?
- L'Wren:Want a quiet cocktail for a completely reasonable price? The new L'Wren might be your spot.
- Devoción:Is the ideal spot for a rejuvenating and freshly roasted Colombian coffee—with two enticing cafes in Brooklyn.
- The post-Xlab SEGD NYC Chapter Mixer: On Friday, November 8, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., join us at Black Forest for a swell time, small bites and drinks—don't miss it!
Don't forget the main event: Xlab 2019, November 7-8! Register now to take advantage of our 3 for 2 event special!