Read Time: 4.5 minutes
Curious about what the landscape of EGD will look like in the future?
We’ve got some theories, but don’t take our word for it. Meet our esteemed 2019 Xlab speakers!
Sessions begin Friday, November 8 at the BRIC in Brooklyn, NY.
Session 1 | Keynote: Why Experience Counts
- Jim Gilmore:Co-author of The Experience Economy, James H. Gilmore is an author, speaker, and management advisor to organizations throughout the world, helping them go deep on innovative ways to create customer value and new revenue. As co-author of The Experience Economy, Jim Gilmore literally wrote the book that spawned a worldwide interest in experience design, customer experience management, and experiential marketing.
Session 2 | Present State of Experiential Design
- Edwin Schlossberg,ESI Design: An internationally recognized pioneer in experience design and audience engagement, Edwin Schlossberg launched his career in 1977 with the design of one of the world’s first interactive museums, the Brooklyn Children’s Museum. Since then, he has been at the forefront of design and technological innovation, creating imaginative and unparalleled public experiences that bring audiences together to explore, learn, communicate and collaborate. He is also the recipient of two SEGD Global Design Awards.
- Debbie Millman:Named “one of the most creative people in business” by Fast Company, and “one of the most influential designers working today” by Graphic Design USA, Debbie Millman is also an author, educator, curator and host of the podcast Design Matters. As the founder and host of Design Matters, one of the world’s first and longest-running podcasts, Millman has interviewed nearly 500 artists, designers and cultural commentators over the past 14 years.
Session 3 | How Education is Changing to Meet New Needs
- Andy Van Solkema,OST: As Chief Designer for OST, Andy Van Solkema is responsible for the practice, vision and integration of Design services and mindset across the company. He is also active in the development of design teams and infusing design leadership and methods across various disciplines—including taking on responsibility for human-centered design expertise, the craft of graphic, information, user experience (product) and strategy, with OST’s strong technology experience
- Carla Diana,Cranbrook Academy of Art: Carla Diana is a creative professional who has the honor of being the first Smart Fellow at the award-winning product innovation firm, Smart Design. In 2012 she founded the Smart Interaction Lab, an initiative focused on design explorations in the form of tinkering and hands-on experimentation. Her projects have included domestic robots, mobile devices and sentient kitchen appliances.
- Christina Lyons,FIT, SEGD Board and Academic Task Force Chair: Christina Lyons is a member of the 2019 SEGD Board, representing education. She is a professor and chairperson of the Graduate Exhibition & Experience Design program at the Fashion Institute of Technology/SUNY in New York. Previous to this position she was the Director of the Graphics Department at Lee H. Skolnick Architecture + Design Partnership. She has worked on projects such as the Muzeiko: Children’s Museum in Sofia, Bulgaria; The New York Historical Society; the Sony Wonder Technology Lab and many more.
- Brenda Cowan,FIT, Fulbright Scholar: Brenda Cowan is an associate professor of exhibition design at the Fashion Institute of Technology/SUNY where she supports the ongoing evolution of the MA program's core curriculum, the direction of academic and design instruction, and the facilitation of the program's relationship with the profession. Her background includes work for museums and design firms in the roles of interpreter, exhibition developer, education director, evaluator, and project manager.
- Michael Stiller,FIT, upLIGHT Design: Michael Stiller is an artist, designer, interactive technologist, and teacher whose career has spanned the worlds of performance, architecture, and entertainment. In 1998 Michael founded Michael Stiller Design, where he directed a versatile team of designers, project managers, and programmers until merging his practice with upLIGHT in 2015. He is also currently on the faculty of FIT's School of Graduate Studies, in the Exhibition and Experience Design program.
Session 4 | The Future of Experiential Environments
- Mary Franck,ESI Design: Mary Franck is a Senior Designer at ESI Design in New York. With a passion for combining spatial design with content to create experiences, in both virtual and physical spaces, Mary Franck is an accomplish creative technologist and experiential designer. Franck utilizes her skills and experiences to converge on subjects such as real-time content and immersive experiences.
- Dusty Duistermars,JLL Inc.: Dusty Duistermars is a Senior Vice President and co-leader for JLL Corporate Solution’s Digital Advisory practice. His industry experience and expertise not only enable him to lead this growing practice but to cultivate and enhance value, operational efficiencies and various workplace productivity gains for clients.
- Josh Goldblum,Bluecadet: As Bluecadet’s Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Josh Goldblum is devoted to working with museums, universities, and nonprofit organizations to educate, engage, and entertain through digital innovation. He has conceptualized and created websites, mobile apps, interactive installations, and immersive environments for such organizations as MoMA, Smithsonian Institution, Doctors Without Borders, National Geographic, and over 20 prestigious institutions in Philadelphia.
We're so excited to bring these EGD experts and innovators to the 2019 SEGD Xlab stage!
2019 Xlab returns to the BRIC in Brooklyn, N.Y. Friday, Nov. 8, for all-day keynote and sessions. Project tours and studio visits are scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 8.
Check out the detailed agenda for more information on session times and tours. If you haven't already, REGISTER HERE. We can't wait to see you in November!
As always, capacity is limited, so early registration is encouraged.
Thank you to our 2019 Xlab presenting sponsors AVIXA and DCL.