At Monsanto’s biotech research center, Spagnola & Associates marries digital storytelling and farming in a dramatic interactive exhibit.
When Monsanto opened its new visitor center at its research headquarters near St. Louis, Missouri, the agricultural biotechnology company saw the opportunity to tell its story in a new way—one that focused more on agriculture than on the company itself and used technology as a powerful narrative tool.
At Liberty Science Center, visitors use technology and new media to interact with—and even change—museum content.
In a world where science and technology dramatically affect our everyday lives—think global warming, pandemic disease, and nanotechnology—science museums share the critical mission of educating visitors to make good choices about the way they live, work, and play.
In 2005, New Jersey’s Liberty Science Center looked in the mirror and faced the fact that it wasn’t up to the task.
Founded in 1885, the Detroit Institute of Arts recently underwent a $158 million renovation that took more than six years to complete and added 58,000 sq. ft. to the institution’s already impressive 600,000 sq. ft.
Eat and Be Eaten began as an exhibition when Liberty Science Center needed to keep its live animal collection while its main building was closed for expansion. It would be on display for two years in temporary space and then move back to the main building upon completion of the renovation. It was designed as a modular system of durable hexagonal structures that could easily be reconfigured and expanded.
The Hall of Human Origins is a permanent 9,000-sq.-ft. exhibit, presenting the history of human evolution from our earliest ancestors millions of years ago to modern Homo sapiens. In a first for an exhibition of its kind, the hall combines the latest in genomic science with up-to-date discoveries in the fossil record.
Louis Kahn’s 1953 Yale University Art Gallery building is one of the first examples of Kahn’s distinctive style. Located across the street from the British Art Center, one of Kahn’s last buildings, the Gallery (known as the Kahn building) is an architectural landmark in the city of New Haven. As part of a decade-long restoration by Polshek Partnership Architects, Open developed a comprehensive signage system guided by two basic principles. First, all of the signage needed to be reversible so that the original condition of the building could be restored.