2016 was a busy year for our members and followers, so you probably haven’t read or watched each and every one of the over 1,000 pieces of new content posted on segd.org over the last 12 months. Lucky for you, we’ve compiled a top 20 list from all the articles, videos and content the website has to offer. Consider it your SEGD 2016 executive summary. Sit back, relax and enjoy!
- This profileabout the 2016 SEGD Fellow, Michael Reed (Mayer Reed) and his life of designing for the greater good.
- Mike Rawlinson (CityID) makes clear the connection of experiential graphic designers to the smart cities of the future in this talk from Xlab 2016.
- Writers Theatre Rewrites the Theater Experience details a multi-faceted, beautifully executed project from donor wall to wayfinding and beyond.
- Develop a case of office-envy at CallisonRTKL in Dallas.
- Look forward and backat the Wayfinding event with SEGD Fellows Chris Calori & David Vanden-Eynden (Calori & Vanden-Eynden Design Consultants).
- A breakdown on the FWHA’s decisionto stop using the Clearview typeface after 20 years.
- Art and Healing in Healthcare Environments,a three-part series looks at ways the healing power of art can be magnified in hospital settings.
- Abbott Miller (Pentagram) talks at the E&E eventabout creating meaningful experiences, and the thought processes behind exhibition design.
- SEGD’s CEO, Clive Roux tells us how we can better embrace design thinking,and why our business culture is obsessed with it.
- Find out what it takes to brand a stadium,Viking-style, with Infinite Scale.
- Envision the future of smart citieswith George Burciaga (Civiq Smartscapes) at Xlab 2016.
- Thoughtful wayfinding and placemaking design at Discovery Elementary Schoolmay make you wish you were back in grade school.
- Understand how you can maximize and leverage your SEGD membership to help your career and firm.
- The 2016 SEGD Global Design Awards’ Best in Show winning project, INFORMATION,an exhibition on the role of information design in Latvia by Studio H2E.
- Watch Refik Anadol(Refik Anadol Studio) introduce the world of data visualization and virtual reality through his installation work.
- The 2016 issue of the SEGD academic research journal Communication + Placefeatures articles on topics ranging from wayfinding using augmented reality, to devising charrettes and critiques in the classroom.
- In this session from the 2016 SEGD Conference Experience Seattle, Sam Stubblefield (NBBJ) presents on Shaping Public Space with Art.
- A blog from Josh Goldblum(Bluecadet) gives us insight on public VR, its opportunities and pitfalls.
- From watercolor renderings of sharks to thumbnail sketches for posters, Ken Carbone’s Sketchbookentry is filled with life.
- The 20 Most Influential Exhibit Designs this Centurygave a great overview of the last 16 years in exhibits from the point-of-view of practitioners, and also was our most-read article of 2016.
Bonus: The new advanced search function on segd.org helps you find exactly what you’re looking for. Give it a spin.
(Don’t know exactly what you’re looking for until you find it? There’s more great content in your areas of interest in SEGD's Xplore Experiential Graphic Designindex.)
Like it? Don’t like it? Think we’re missing something? Please log in to post to the comments section below.