PHILADELPHIA—Wayfinding & Placemaking design continue to be the heart of experiential graphic design practice worldwide. The SEGD Wayfinding & Placemaking event in Philadelphia on August 1-2 is poised to bring participants and an international panel of speakers together to tour, connect, discuss and discover urban, regional, campus and transportation signage design.
"We believe in investing in education and learning opportunities for our entire studio team. The SEGD Wayfinding Event was a great chance for our office to glean presenters' knowledge and be inspired by the SEGD community," says Kyle Richter, Principal at RSM Design.
The 2019 SEGD Wayfinding & Placemaking event will kick off Thursday, August 1, with an optional experiential tour in the afternoon, followed by an SEGD Philadelphia Chapter-hosted social mixer sponsored by Walton Signs.
Experiential Tour options include:
- Innovation Plaza Tour (Sponsored by SignAgent)
- Spring Garden Connector + Spruce Street Harbor Park Placemaking Tour
- Jefferson Hospital Wayfinding Tour (Sponsored by L&H Companies)
- Rail Park Placemaking Tour
- Independence Visitor Center Placemaking Tour
**Tours are offered at $75.00 per attendee
On Friday, August 2, designers, makers, integrators and planners involved in the design of placemaking and wayfinding systems will come together to engage in dialogue on critical topical issues and best practices. The sessions at this year's Wayfinding event will feature talks by locally-based Philadelphia firms as well as international firms.
- Local Philadelphia Design Firms: Philadelphia EGD Practices—sponsored by DCL
- "Crossing the Hudson" with Amy Rees and Kelly Jennings from Exit (Philadelphia)
- "Placemaking in Public Spaces" with Virginia Gehshan, Ian Goldberg and Jerome Cloud from Cloud Gehshan & Associates (Philadelphia)
- "From Ski to Surf" with John Bosio from Merje (West Chester, PA)
- European Design Firms: German EGD Practice—sponsored by DE Powder Coated Graphics
- "Destination Dessau" with Katrin Middel from Polyform (Berlin)
- Canadian Design Firms: Canadian EGD Practices—sponsored by Designtex
- "Escales découvertes (Discovery Halts)" with Julie Margot of Julie Margot Design (Montréal), Peter Soland from Civiliti (Montréal)
- "Placemaking from Eh to Zed" with Cynthia Damar-Schnobb from Entro (Toronto)
- "Developing a Multi-Modal Wayfinding System for the City of Toronto" with Chris Ronson of City of Toronto.
- British Firms: British EGD Practices—sponsored by Designtex
- "So Far, So Good" with Lucy Holmes of Lucy Holmes Design (London)
- "The SFO Way: People, Places, Things" with Jason Smith from City ID (Bristol), Jacob Ehrenberg from San Francisco International Airport
- "The Stories Places Tell" with Ian Whybrow and Heath Pedrola from Whybrow (London).
"We have been listening to what the community wants and as a result, the SEGD Wayfinding event has grown by 281 percent since 2015,” remarks SEGD CEO, Clive Roux. “Join us, you won't be disappointed."
The Friday portion of the event will be held at the Philadelphia Center for Architecture and Design,1218 Arch St., Philadelphia 19107. The 2019 SEGD Wayfinding & Placemaking event is presented by Sherineand Image Manufacturing Group.