LOS ANGELES—Wayfinding and placemaking design continue to be the heart of experiential graphic design practice worldwide. The SEGD Wayfinding & Placemaking event in Los Angeles on July 19-20 is poised to bring participants and an international panel of experts together to tour, connect, discuss and discover urban, regional, campus and transportation signage design.
“The 2018 SEGD Wayfinding & Placemaking event continues its reach for the best by bringing leading designers from as far away as Sydney, Dubai and Halifax to the truly global city of Los Angeles,” says SEGD's Director of Education, Justin Molloy. “These leading practitioners will share their inspiring work and critical perspectives on signage design.”
The SEGD wayfinding and placemaking event will kick off Thursday, July 19 with a series of optional morning, afternoon and evening tours, followed by a local LA SEGD Chapter-hosted social mixer.
Tour options include:
- LA Metro Placemaking Experience with Lance Glover, LA Metro Arts & Design (Los Angeles)
- USC Campus Wayfinding Experience with Clint Woesner from Linespace (Los Angeles)
- Wilshire Grand Wayfinding Experience with Robin Perkins FSEGD and Cheri Devlin of Selbert Perkins Design (Los Angeles) and Mark Andreasson, DCL (Boston)
- ROW DTLA Placemaking Experience with Erin Williams, Rios Clementi Hale Studios (Los Angeles)
- DTLA Digital Placemaking Experience featuring digital facade media installations by Standard Vision (Los Angeles) at Marriott LA Live, Metropolis, Wilshire Grand and Circa
On Friday, July 20, the event will bring designers, makers, integrators and planners involved in the design of placemaking and wayfinding systems together to engage in dialogue on critical topical issues and best practices, including:
- Passenger Wayfinding Innovations with Cesar Sanchez and Herbert Seevinck of Mijksenaar (New York)
- Campus Wayfinding and Placemaking with Clint Woesner from Linespace (Los Angeles) and Kelly Kolar of Kolar (Cincinnati)
- Regional and Local Wayfinding and Placemaking with Christian Daniels of EGG Office (Los Angeles) and John deWolf from Form Media (Halifax, Canada)
- Global Methodologies for Wayfinding with Carlo Giannasca from Urbanite, part of Frost* Collective (Sydney, Australia) and Stephanie Lessmann of Endpoint (Dubai, UAE)
The event will also include a session in the style of Pecha Kucha, called 20x20: LA EGD, in which five speakers from three generations and four Los Angeles offices will present.
"We have been listening to what the community wants and as a result, the SEGD Wayfinding event has grown by 281 percent since 2015,” remarks SEGD CEO, Clive Roux. “Join us, you won't be disappointed."
The Friday portion of the event will be held at the JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live, 900 West Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015 with a reception to follow. The 2018 SEGD Wayfinding & Placemaking event is presented by Sherineand Drive21.