What you will learn
The United States has 35 million foreign-born residents and other countries around the world are seeing a similar influx of new people and design trends. This multicultural world not only has language barriers, but also educational, cultural, and technological separations that impact design.
In this informative podcast, Paul Mijksenaar,Christian Lungerand Graham Hansondiscuss wayfinding across Europe including trends, best practices and comparisons with wayfinding in the United States. Bringing unique international perspectives, these speakers are experts in the wayfinding arena and engage in discussion on the past, present and future of wayfinding and EGD in Europe.
- International wayfinding trends
- Modular sign systems
- Comparison of wayfinding in Europe and around the world
- Integrating standards from around the world
- Incorporating new technology into wayfinding systems
- Language issues
- Business expansion issues
- Keeping up with national and international legislation and standards
- Using verbal information is wayfinding
- The need for interdisciplinary work
- Do you think that the trend of sharing and trying to find common ground in systems of typography is an issue outside of the United States (i.e. in Europe)?
- Can you comment on wayfinding in the private sector?
- What are some of the books made available recently on wayfinding?
- On the Guggenheim project, were there any issues with legislation concerning Spanish language in the wayfinding program?
- Have you found you have recently been facing more legislative restrictions in Europe?
- How do you prove to the International Standard Organization that a wayfinding solution or symbol is more effective than the existing conditions? What kind of testing do you perform?
- What is your academic training and degree, and in light of your own experience, what areas of study do you believe are essential in order to practice in the international area of environmental wayfinding?
- Is there any annual publication of the best European EGD projects?
This course contains 1 podcast, with 1 accompanying PDF presentation.
- Approximately 68 minutes
- Graham Hanson,GHD Partners
- Christian Lunger,Motasdesign
- Paul Mijksenaar,Mijksnenaar
Presented January 31, 2006
Members, log in before adding products to your cart to receive member discounts using the "Log in/Register"link in the top right hand corner of this page or call 202-638-5555 for assistance.