Planar Systems (Beaverton, Ore.) debuted its Planar® LookThru™ OLED transparent display, a breakthrough product that creates a new category for see-through displays, at Xlab 2015 Nov. 5 in New York City.
The display utilizes cutting-edge organic light-emitting diode (OLED) technology to eliminate the need for a backlight or enclosure. Transparent OLED technology overcomes one of the major hurdles to transparent LCD display adoption by making it possible to create truly see-through installations unobstructed by enclosures that sit behind the displays.
“Planar’s transparent OLED offering creates new applications for display experiences never before possible,” says Jennifer Davis, vice president of marketing and product strategy at Planar Systems. “This revolutionary product provides new surfaces for storytelling and allows for a futuristic and modern aesthetic that has appeal across industries and applications.”
The Planar LookThru OLED transparent display allows users to view video content, digital images, and text on a virtually frameless glass display while enabling designers to overlay this content onto real objects or scenes that sit behind the glass.
Known a pioneer in the digital display industry, Planar was the first company to showcase a transparent OLED technology display demonstrator in February 2015 at Integrated Systems Europe (ISE), where the display received industry attention and earned a rAVe Best of ISE 2015 Award for “Best Overall New Product.”
The 55-in. Planar LookThru OLED transparent display is self-emissive and offers brilliant picture quality, exceptional contrast, and wide viewing angles, says Planar. When paired with a Planar image processing solution, the display can be tiled to create large, high-impact video wall installations.
The display is designed for a broad range of applications, including retail, corporate, and museum settings. It can be integrated into any environment in which glass is used including room dividers, conference rooms, counters, museum exhibits, retail fixtures, and ticket booths.
“The advancements in flat panel displays have allowed us to bring in digital content as active architectural surfaces in the environments we design,” notes Alan Robles, associate and experience designer in the Retail Studio with the global architectural firm Gensler.
He continues, “Transparent OLED represents the opportunity to further extend those interactive surfaces into more enveloping interactions where we can put our user in the midst of the content, and the content becomes a transparent layer of their experience. This technology could revolutionize the retail environment by taking traditional components such as fitting rooms and product interaction displays to their next evolution.”
The Planar LookThru OLED transparent display offers the following benefits:
• Truly see-through installations: Unlike projection films and other competitive display offerings, the Planar LookThru OLED is a self-emitting display that requires no backlight or box behind the display, making it possible to create truly see-through installations. It offers a virtually frameless screen with 45% light transmissivity, creating clear, unobstructed views of objects, scenes, or other digital screens behind the transparent display.
• Flexible design options: It is available in two mechanical configurations: table-top/ceiling-mounted or flush-mounted installations. It can be used in both portrait and landscape mode and can be tiled to create large, eye-catching video wall arrays.
• Touch interactivity: The Planar LookThru OLED is available with optional touch screen interactivity offering 32 simultaneous touch points. Both models are available with optional touch technology and use the latest touch sensors tested and proven to perform in today’s most demanding environments.
• Brilliant picture quality in a large viewing size: The Planar LookThru OLED transparent display measures 55 inches diagonally and offers bright, vibrant colors greater than 100 percent National Television System Committee (NTSC) performance as well as wide viewing angles with no off-axis contrast or brightness limitations. The display provides Full HD resolution that allows for beautiful graphics and full-motion video.
• High durability: The Planar LookThru OLED transparent display features proprietary Planar® Extended Ruggedness and Optics™ (ERO™) technology, which uses a damage-resistant optically clear Corning® Gorilla® Glass bonded to the front surface of the display. This high-durability surface can withstand the rigors of high-traffic environments and interactive touch. The combination of Planar ERO technology and Corning Gorilla Glass improves perceived contrast by more than 300 percent when compared to traditional large format cover glass, making the display more readable and impactful even in bright public venues.
• Source compatibility: The Planar LookThru OLED display comes with standard digital inputs including HDMI and DisplayPort, is fully controllable using RS-232, LAN, Crestron and other control systems, and is compatible with sources ranging from PCs and players to consumer video devices that rely on High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) compliance. The display is compatible with processing solutions from Planar including the Clarity® Visual Control Station™ (VCS™) for tiling applications or advanced source management.
After introducing the display at Xlab Nov. 5, Planar will show it at InfoComm Connections New York on Nov. 11-12. The new display will be available in February 2016 through Planar’s global network of authorized resellers, who are currently accepting pre-orders. Watch a video to learn more about the Planar LookThru OLED transparent display or visit www.planar.com/LookThruOLED.