The SEGD Conference is the only annual conference designed for creatives working in experiential graphic design. Speakers span industry verticals, and the event promises the a wide cross-section of designers, architects and business leaders who will open your mind to new ways of thinking about design. At the 2018 SEGD Conference Experience Minneapolis,you’ll have the opportunities to learn from leaders in the field like Wayne Hunt; successful executives like Nancy M. Dahl; and local experts like Larry Millett.
Meet the all of the speakers for this year’s annual conference, and bookmark the sessions you won’t want to miss:
[Don’t wait to register!Rates go up May 1.]
Thursday, June 7
The conference launches with Minneapolis-focused experiences. Architectural historian Larry Milletwill kick off the 2018 SEGD Conference Experience Minneapolis with his session “Understanding Place: Sessions.” Learn how Minneapolis and St. Paul became a future destination for technology innovation, brand design, art and culture.
- About Larry: Larry Millett has spent much of his career as a writer, reporter and editor for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, joining the newspaper in 1972. In 1984, he won a Knight Fellowship to the University of Michigan to study architectural history and theory. When he returned to St. Paul in 1985, Larry Millett became the newspaper’s first architecture critic. He held that post until his retirement from the Pioneer Press in June of 2002.
Then, hear how the recently completed U.S. Bank Stadium created a new anchor point for downtown Minneapolis’ urban development and community connectivity from Tanya Dreesenof Minneapolis Vikings Football.
- About Tanya: As Vice President of Partnership Activation and Special Projects, Tanya Dreesen is responsible for the team that activates all sponsorships—including naming rights and new Founding Partnerships—and provides support on critical new team initiatives such as the International Series games in London, the successful 2018 Super Bowl LII bid and the latest new 200-acre practice facility design and construction.
Finally, you’ll have the opportunity to explore the city during the popular walking and project tours. [Space is filling up, and tours are already selling out. Registertoday!]
Friday, June 8
Alan Howell,Jeff Loeschenand Gord McTaggertwill start the day with a session on “Early Collaboration for a Seamless Passenger Journey,” focused on how a highly integrated process between the client, architect and EGD firm is resulting in improved passenger experience strategies andsetting new standards for best practice.
- About Alan: In his role as Senior Airport Architect for the Metropolitan Airports Commission, Alan Howell is responsible for the conceptualization and implementation of new facilities, major remodeled facilities and facility redevelopment/repurposing at all of MAC’s airports.
- About Jeff: Jeff Loeschen has extensive experience in leading planning and design efforts for Alliiance’s aviation practice at over 20 airports throughout the United States and Canada.
- About Gord: Over the past 12 years, Gord McTaggert has managed the team at Entro on diverse assignments including healthcare, airports, integrated resorts, sports and entertainment venues and municipal and civic projects.
Then, Eric Quintwill share how the leadership team at 3M Design harnesses design thinking and research methodologies and has delivered new value and recognition to their business units in recent years.
- About Eric: Eric Quint joined 3M in 2013, following a distinguished career at Royal Philips Electronics. As Chief Design Officer, Eric Quint oversees 3M’s global design organization, representing a vital competitive platform to enhance innovation and commercialization across 3M’s broad and diverse product portfolio.
Continuing on a leadership track, Executive Leader Nancy M. Dahlwill share strategies for how to best lead with a vision, develop passionate and synergistic teams, stay relevant and achieve your business goals.
- About Nancy: Nancy M. Dahl’s professional career spans five industries with sales ranging from $20 Million to $750 Million. The largest included 20,000 employees, seven manufacturing plants, over 200 field offices and in excess of 700 retail operations in North America.
NEXPO Talks (New this year!)
Wrap up the day with NEXPO Talks. Get your hands dirty with demonstrations of materials and technology innovation on the NEXPO show floor.
Saturday, June 9
Grab a cup of Joe and spend your morning with Wayne. One of the SEGD community’s most recognizable practitioners and pioneers in civic space, Wayne Huntwill share the story of his practice, which spans forty years of work that connects with people in cities, airports, national monuments and parks.
- About Wayne: Wayne Hunt founded Hunt Design in 1977 and has, along with his team, planned, designed and implemented more than two hundred signage and graphics and exhibit assignments in twenty U.S. states and in countries around the world. Wayne is the author of three books on signage and related graphics design and is an Adjunct Professor at Art Center College of Design. He is also a past SEGD President and Fellow.
How can you harness the power of data and transform content, spaces and everyday experiences into something new? Find out from Amy Blackmanof Contend in this closing keynote session.
- About Amy: After Amy Blackman received her Global Executive MBA from Georgetown University, she was recruited to run the North America subsidiary of a global multimedia design agency. Amy and her team were then acquired by Contend, a branding and experiential marketing agency—where she served as VP of Contend Immersive, working with rogue, vanguard and brilliant strategists, designers, artists and branders.
Design Workshops and Roundtables
SEGD design workshops and roundtables on Saturday afternoon will give conference attendees a chance build skills, expand their knowledge through conversations with topic experts and just plain have fun with design!
- Design Thinking: Voice Controlled Urban Experiences
Workshop with Jackie Colburn,Design Sprints
Sponsored by PhotoWorksGroup
- Design Improv(e): Dimensional Letterforms Experience
Workshop with Chank Diesel,Chank Fonts
- The State of Symbols: Accessibility and Gender Identification
Roundtable with Mies Hora,Ultimate Symbols
- Measuring Design with Financial Metrics
Roundtable with Soren Luckins,Buro North
Wrap up your 2018 SEGD Conference experience with all the inspiration, during the SEGD Fellow and Achievement Awards (sponsored by DCL)and the 2018 SEGD Global Design Awards ceremony ( sponsored by 3M).
Are you ready now? Register today!