In 2014, I volunteered to become a Chapter Co-Chair in Los Angeles in the hopes of growing our local chapter and creating events that would appeal to those in our industry. As time went on and our LA membership grew, it was exciting to see the addition of new members from various design backgrounds (signage, digital, exhibit design, fabrication and manufacturers).
Kris Helmick serves on the 2019 Board as the Chapter Chair Liaison.
He is the Associate Vice President of Environmental Graphics at CallisonRTKL and specializes in signage and wayfinding for a wide range of projects.
Previously, Kris Helmick was a Senior Designer at Two Twelve (New York City) and a Designer/ Project Coordinator at Hunt Design (Pasadena, CA). Some of his recent work includes:
- LAX Terminal 1
- Motiongate Theme Park Dubai
- MGM Grand Springfield
- National Park Service
- The Walt Disney Company
- Texas Children’s Hospital
- Los Angeles International Airport
- and the cities of Santa Barbara, Glendale and Pasadena.
While at Two Twelve he designed, planned and managed large Gaming, Healthcare, and City Wayfinding projects. He was responsible for creating overall strategy, concept design through construction intent documentation and managing Construction Administration.
Notable Projects Include:
- MGM Springfield Casino and Hotel, Springfield, MA
- MGM National Harbor Casino Expansion, Washington, D.C.
- Port Imperial City Wayfinding, Weehawken, NJ
- 220 Central Park South Residential, Manhattan, NY
While at Hunt Design he designed, planned, managed and implemented private and public wayfinding, signage and exhibit design projects in nearly every category of work. Kris was responsible for leading site assessments, sign location surveys, GIS and field documentation teams. Worked with fabricators and vendors through construction administration.
Notable Projects Include:
- Motiongate Dubai Themepark
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- The Walt Disney Company (Various Projects)
- Signage for over 10 National Park Service sites, Including the National Mall, Jefferson National Monument, the National Parks of New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty.
- Park Signage Master Plans for Orange County Parks and the City of Santa Barbara
- Los Angeles World Airports (LAX) Terminal 1
- Santa Barbara Citywide Wayfinding
- Santa Clara Family Justice Center, San Jose, CA
- Pasadena Humane Society
- Orange Coast Community College Digital Wayfinding
- Oregon Zoo Wayfinding Digital Media Integration
Kris Helmick is a graduate of Woodbury University and holds a BFA in graphic design.
Connect with Kris Helmick on LinkedIn.
See his work at CallisonRTKL