Members please log in to see contact information.
Kaijie Chen graduated from Philadelphia University with a master’s degree in Surface Imaging Design and also hold bachelor’s degree in Textile Design & Engineering. She chose to explore the interdisciplinary field of surface design which combines visual design, material exploration and engineering technology to offer cutting edge solutions. Her work experience includes: developing concept & print design for Calico Wallpaper and Anthropologie, material design for Armstrong Flooring, visual merchandising for Under Armour, showroom design for Mimaki, packaging design for Coca Cola, and surface design for Designtex and Steelcase.
Kaijie Chen, a surface & visual designer living in the US, was born in Shanghai in 1991. She graduated from Donghua University with a B.S. in Textile Engineering & Design in 2014. As a distinguished graduate, Kaijie began to teach Textile Design and Styling courses as a lecturer at Donghua University. As a student in Philadelphia University pursuing M.S. in Surface Imaging, she pushed her works to make a real impression by solving a problem from multiple perspectives, not only reconciling different materials with innovative technologies, also blending art, craft, science, business savvy, and an astute understanding of customers and markets. Her design works not only involved 2D and 3D motion visual design, also explored different materials (wood, plastics, steel, concrete, resin, silicone, etc), machines (UV/ latex/ solvent/ dye sub printers, laser cutter, vacumm forming machine) and technologies (screen & digital printing, weaving, kniting, jacquard, plastic wrapping, mold & casting, interactive LED).
To advance living experience in ways previously unimaginable, she founded her studio 'KAIJIE CHEN' in Aug 2016 which designs and fabricates bespoke products for architects and interior designers by integrating digital media, materials and technologies, also provides solution for clients on creating unique in/exterior products by leveraging their new materials and technologies.
Award & Scholarships:
- GOOD DESIGN® Award, Building Materials, USA, 2018
- Indigo Award, Gold Winner, Integrated Graphic Design, the Netherlands, 2018
- Indigo Award, Gold Winner, Digital Design, the Netherlands, 2018
- Sunbrella "SHADE-SCAPE" Sunshade Pattern Design Competition, Top 30, China, 2018
- Adobe Design Achievement Awards, Semifinalist, Fine Art - Graphic Design/Print, USA, 2017
- A' Design Award, Bronze Winner, Graphics and Visual Communication Design, Italy, 2016 - 2017
- The International Design Awards (IDA), Silver Winner, Other Graphic Designs, USA, 2016
- The International Design Awards (IDA), Honorable Mention Winner, Other Product Designs, USA, 2016
- SGIA Award of Excellence Award, Interior Design, USA, 2016
- SGIA Certificate of Merit Award, Heat Transfers (Textile), USA, 2016
- Nexus Maximus 2015 (Johnson &Johnson), Aalto Ventures Program Award, USA, 2015
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Design Contest, 1st Place Graphic Design Award, China, 2015
- Philadelphia University, The Dean's List, USA, 2015/2014/2013
- Donghua University, Distinguished Graduate, China, 2014
- Donghua University, Academic Excellence Award, China, 2013
- China Scholarship Council, National Scholarship, China, 2013
- Donghua University, Outstanding Engineer Scholarship, China, 2012
- Donghua University, Major Scholarship, China, 2011
- Hong Kong Esquel Group scholarship, China, 2011
Selected Publication & Exhibitions:
- ‘Nature Force’, GOOD DESIGN YEARBOOK, 2018-2019
- 'Exploding Brain', Steelcase’s showroom at NeoCon, the MART, USA, 2018
- 'Unusual Beauty', Utopa International Design Exhibition, ShenNonTaiYangCheng 4F North Space, China, 2018
- 'Unusual Beauty', A'Design Award Special Exhibition, Hebei Design Center, China, 2017-2018
- 'Unusual Beauty', Shenzhen Design Week, Shenzhen Convention and Exhibition Center Pavilion 2, China, 2017-2018
- 'Unusual Beauty', 40 x 40 Exhibition Budapest, Budapest Projekt Galéria, Hungary, 2017
- 'Unusual Beauty', Festival of Architecture and Interior Designing Conference, The Lalit Mumbai, India, 2017
- 'Unusual Beauty', A' Design Award Exhibition, the MOOD Museum of Design, Italy, 2017
- 'Unusual Beauty', A' Design Award Year Book of Best Designs, 2017
- 'Unusual Beauty', The 10th Annual International Design Awards Book, 2017
- 'Melting Metal Panel', SGIA Expo, USA, 2016
- 'Unique Textured Mushroom', SGIA Expo, USA, 2016
- 'Neo Skin', Philadelphia University Surface Imaging Graduation Show, USA, 2016
View Kaijie Chen's websites:
Connect with Kaijie on LinkedIn.