Read Time: 1.5 minutes
Come one, come all!
It's time to select your 2019 SEGD Wayfinding & Placemaking Tour experience!
SEGD event tours allow participants to explore the host city and some of its best examples of experiential graphic design. These year's Wayfinding & Placemaking tours promise to be no different!
Led by local experts, the 2019 Wayfinding & Placemaking tours (in Philadelphia) will span a wide cross-section of settings, from an industrial rail park and an underpass to a visitor center and a walkway plaza—all inspiring projects and stellar examples of wayfinding and placemaking. But hurry! Tours sell out quickly.
Here are the awesome 2019 Wayfinding & Placemaking tour options for you to choose from:
MORNING TOURS* [10:00 AM-12:00 PM]
1. Spring Garden Connector + Spruce Street Harbor Park Placemaking Tour**: Now a beautiful, intricately-lit environment, this Philadelphia underpass revitalization was the result of a collaboration between the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation, Cloud Gehshan Associates (CGA) and The Lighting Practice (TLP). The space was modeled after the Spring Garden Greenway theme and transformed through illuminated portal structures with intricate, American Wisteria-inspired patterns, developed by CGA, and unique lighting installations, co-designed with TLP.
2. Jefferson Hospital Wayfinding Tour—Sponsored by L&H Companies: In 2006, with ambitious expansion plans, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital wished to foster a new spirit of innovation and community among frequent campus users: students, professors, researchers, staff and patients. They employed CG to develop a new, campus-wide master plan that creates a distinctive brand identity, provides comprehensive directional wayfinding and makes the campus more accessible and user-friendly.
CG's family of graphic elements consisting of pylons, pedestrian directional signage, permanent banners, donor recognition and interpretive stories, enliven the campus experience and make navigation easier. Matt Varrato, Jefferson's "Brand Sheriff," will be joining the tour and telling the story of Jefferson's brand evolution and implementation over the years. Join us as we tour the Jefferson Campus!
3. Museum of the American Revolution Tour—Nova Sign Group: Bluecadet has been The Museum of the American Revolution's partner in all things digital for over a decade. The culmination of our work together is a suite of permanent exhibit interactives that reveal the hidden stories of the War: from the under-told experiences of freed and enslaved African Americans who fought on both sides to the unseen nicks and graffiti adorning soldier's weapons. Beyond the interactive elements, Bluecadet added depth and texture to the visitor experience with ambient projections and animations that enhance the museum's collection and help convey the complex decisions average citizens had to make during the American Revolution.
AFTERNOON TOURS* [2:00-4:00 PM]
1. Innovation Plaza—Sponsored by SignAgent: An SEGD Global Design Awards Finalist in both 2017 and 2018, the 37th Street walkway—named Innovation Plaza—was designed by Exit Design to connect the nation's largest and oldest urban research park, University City Science Center, with the larger Unversity City District. With its towering red portals, illuminated at night, and 'Innovators Walk of Fame,' an installation of stained concrete blocks providing places to sit and gather, visitors are invited into a space for learning and leisure that reflects the Science Center's dynamic energy and entrepreneurial spirit.
2. Rail Park Placemaking Tour—Sponsored by Urban Sign: See Philadelphia's newest and most buzzed-about park, built on the viaduct formerly used by the Reading Railroad. Learn how the design team portrayed the neighborhood's gritty industrial history in an 80-foot-long Corten wall and enjoy the dramatic landscape and the iconic, oversized swings.
3. Independence Visitor Center and Lit Brothers Building Tour**: Occupying an entire block in downtown Philadelphia, the former Lit Brothers Department Store is a cultural landmark that operated for nearly a century before closing its doors. Recently renovated, revitalized and rebranded as The Lits Building, the mixed-use structure has played a vital role in the redevelopment of Philly's booming Market East District. To cap off its transformation, Bluecadet designed a digital entry marquee that evokes the historic building's early-twentieth-century heyday while incorporating twenty-first-century technology. The result: an entrance where architecture, art and technology work in unison to activate a new sense of place.
Don't miss out!
*Tours are available to event registrants for an additional $75 per tour. Space is limited and on a first-come, first-served basis, so REGISTERfor the 2019 SEGD Wayfinding & Placemaking event in Philadelphia, August 1-2, and BOOK YOUR TOUR TODAY!
**These three tours are available for sponsorship! Get the exposure your firm desires with this terrific networking opportunity at some of Philadelphia's greatest wayfinding and placemaking locations. Take action now! Contact Kathleen Turnerfor more details.
Special thanks to our Presenting Sponsors, Sherine Industriesand the Image Manufacturing Group (IMG).