Different cities face unique design challenges, but their innovative approaches can inspire designers across the world.
Miami’s location and demographics play a vital role in its design aesthetic and architectural choices. From its proximity to the ocean to the tropical climate, the sheer size of the city and the multi-cultural makeup, Miami has evolved into a vibrant destination city—with a unique design identity.
At the 2017 SEGD Conference Experience Miami,June 8–10, attendees will learn about the challenges and successes of design for a city of Miami’s caliber. Here’s a taste of how you’ll experience Miami at the 2017 SEGD Conference:
- Miami Design: Learning from Practice: These talks will present distinct perspectives of design practice from a Miami point-of-view. These sessions will provide practical process-based insights to enhance your own studio’s outlook on what is possible and what other design practices are doing too.
- Responding to Change: Sea-Level Rise and the Impact on Design: Sea-level rise is a topic that every design working in the built environment should be aware of. Miami is one of the first cities in the United States that is already seeing the impact of salt water intrusion into the built environment. Learn how this change will impact the way we live and how designers can work towards methodologies that are more responsive, resilient and impactful to place.
- Miami Underline: Creating a New Urban Landscape: Miami Underline will transform the space below the city’s Metrorail into a 10 mile linear park and trail. Learn how this project, shaped by landscape and graphics, will re-write the rules again.
- Symbiotic Media: Blending Art and Science: Meet a team of designers and artists who are collaborating to lend a new type of structure to coral reefs that are damaged and in need of reconstruction. New technology matches the need of nature in this session about how art and science can combine efforts as one.
- Visionary Territories: Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Mary Spio is a military trained satellite engineer, with significant of startup experience in the tech media world. Her entrepreneurial spirit continues to make big bets in innovation for emerging technology platforms from her base in Miami. Join us for this inspiring of how she transformed her vision into a reality.
In additional to the Miami-centric conference program,participants will have the opportunity to see the city first-hand on beach tours, project tours and destination tours. Choose your tour.
Join your peers at the only conference specifically created for the experiential graphic design community. Register today!