Members please log in to see contact information.
Derek Friday is an environmental graphic designer, based in Boulder, Colorado, and Hamburg, Germany. His practice primarily includes immersive branding as well as signage and wayfinding elements.
Friday has worked with a number of major architectural and development firms on large retail and mixed use development projects across Europe and the U.S. for the past 15 years, nine of those as lead creative for his own small agency, Finndustry. The applications of his work can be varied depending on the specific need for creating brand continuity across an environment. Friday has entered at the visioning and concept phase as a consultant for bigger picture discussions, collaborated with design teams on an ongoing basis as a multidisciplinary designer throughout a project and created comprehensive concept packages, monitoring each component through fabrication. On occasion, Friday has jumped in toward the end of a project when the need for wayfinding and other brand integration has arisen unexpectedly.
Derek Friday holds a Bachelor's in Environmental Design from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio with a Core Minor in Art & Architecture History 19th & 20th Century Europe from MUDEC in Luxembourg. His nontraditional path from architecture training to environmental graphic design is one that has allowed Friday to amass a multidisciplinary body of work on three continents in a variety of settings.
Derek Friday was recently awarded the 2018 SEGD Global Design Award in the category of Identity and Placemaking for the Sagamore Pendry Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland. Other projects of note include 360 Mall in Kuwait, The Boulevard at Downtown Dubai, Alexa in Berlin, Designopolis in Cairo among others.
Awards & Honors
- 1999 Charles & Ray Eames Fellowship, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2007 SEGD Design Honorable Mention Award, Downtown Dubai
- 2013 MAPIC / MIPIM Best Shopping Center, Marmara Park, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2013 MAPIC / MIPIM Best Future Mega Project, Milaneo Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2010 Los Logos 5 Publication (Die Gestalten Verlag GmbH & Co. KG)
- 2014 Los Logos 7 Publication (Die Gestalten Verlag GmbH & Co. KG)
- 2017 Los Logos 8 Publication (Die Gestalten Verlag GmbH & Co. KG)
- 2018 SEGD Merit Award, Identity & Placemaking, Sagamore Pendry Hotel, Baltimore Maryland
Connect with Derek Friday on the Finndustry site,ello,and Instagram.