Dear SEGD Community
I hope you all had a fabulous holiday and New Year and that you are getting back into the swing of things! 2016 was another fantastic year for our organization. We had some amazing events, we added an incredible amount of resources to our website, membership grew and our members created more incredible work!
2017 will be another exciting year for SEGD as we’re having our first ever international conference in Australia & New Zealand. Off Grid '17is an Experiential Journey from February 16-21 with events in four cities culminating in a two-day experience in Wellington, New Zealand. Clive and I are excited to participate in this journey down under and hope to see many of you there!
I can't wait for our annual conference June 8-10th in Miami as we’re putting together some incredible content, including a session with Lance Wyman. SEGD hasn't been in Miami for a conference since 2001 and as I somewhat remember, it was a lot of fun.
For 2017, we've planned a number of specialized design education events and new member resources for you including:
• Branded Environmentsevent in Las Vegas March 28-29, where we will discuss Design for Brand-Centric Customer Experiences
• Business of Designevent in Portland, Oregon April 27-28, where you will learn how to build, manage and sustain your design practice
• Xplorer Digital Bootcampevent in Chicago July 13-14, Send your junior designers to Digital Camp this Summer!
• Wayfindingevent in Boston August 17-18, a signage and wayfinding event focusing on transportation, urban and campus environments
• Xlabin New York City November 2-3, our exploration of cutting-edge digital innovation and the future of experience design
• Growing and supporting our chaptersand having incredible chapter events in a city near you!
• Creating member resources such as our Industry Intelligence,Hourly Billing Ratesand Salary Survey (coming soon)
• Continuing to make SEGD a vital component of our community and businesses by making connections between clients, designers, fabricators and vendors
If you haven’t lately, please take a look at all the improvements that we’ve made to SEGD.org We’ve spent a lot of time enriching Member Bios and creating Firm Listings to connect designers to clients and fabricators to designers. It's an amazing tool and you should definitely take advantage of its public and member-only resources as a member of the organization.
What an exciting time to be a part of SEGD!
After guiding us through some critical times within the organization, Amy Lukas, Wayne McCutcheon, Steven Stamper, Steve Bayer and George Lim rolled off the Board of Directors at the end of 2016. I want to personally thank all of them for all of their hard work and contributions over the years. We are excited to welcome four new Board Members: Paul McConnell from Intersection, Mike McCarthy from Design Communications Ltd., Christina Lyons from FIT as our Education Liaison, and Kris Helmick from Hunt Design.
The Board approved the formation of a Board Advisory Council to further strengthen our governance and support the organization's growth. The Council will consist of up to six members and include recent past presidents, treasurers and executive committee members. Its purpose is to act in an advisory capacity and provide input from experienced leaders in the community.
Special thanks to George Lim as he completes his two year term as an SEGD Board Member and Chapter Chair Liaison on the board. George did a fantastic job working with the Chapter Chairs and stoking the fires of growth. Thank you, George, for your work with the Chapters. Also a big shout out to Andrew Kuzyk, Adam Halverson, Kevin Kern, all long standing SEGD Chapter Chairs and strong supporters of SEGD who ended their terms in 2016. We will miss you! (Don't forget you are always welcome back after recharging your batteries for a year or two!)
Welcome Kris Helmick as our new Chapter Chair Liaison.
I can’t express how excited I am to continue my role as President of SEGD in 2017. Together we have the power to create incredible experiences for people across the world, creating memories for people to cherish throughout their lifetime.
I look forward to working with old friends and new, building and strengthening relationships.